Ad Spot Post
I’ll tell you what, I feel like I’m giving away the whole crunchy farm here lately. Between my favorite hair rinse recipe and the homemade laundry detergent I can’t live without – and then this here, today, this frighteningly effective wake-up-and-smell-the-caffeine facial mask, I’m going through all of my tried and true favorites like wildfire. I think it’s time to go crazy and experiment with some new stuff.
But, before I do that, I want you to enjoy this, my very favorite facial mask/scrub ever to be placed on my crunchy face.
The Mocha-Frappuccino Mask (i.e., coffee, cocoa, and honey facial mask).
Here’s the scoop:
What The Coffee, Cocoa, and Honey Face Mask Does For You
First of all, only use this mask in the morning. I’m not kidding you when I tell you that after I use it, I feel like I could run around in circles for two hours while composing a symphony and calling every member of my family (who likes to talk a LOT). The caffeine on your skin seriously translates into caffeine in your system. It is a definite, absolute wake-me-up skincare experience.
It may not help that I typically drink three cups of coffee while I’m letting it sit on my face, but I drink three cups of coffee every morning anyway, and it never makes me feel like this.
Next: Cocoa, honey, and milk (or heavy cream or yogurt) are very moisturizing, so you get some crazy soft benefits from this mask.
Cocoa and coffee are also both packed with antioxidants, so it’s a great anti-aging and detoxifying mask.
Honey, we covered here.
Last, but probably first: Coffee is genius at taking down puffiness and swelling. This is the absolute crunchiest thing about this mask. Use it in the morning on days when you’re feeling puffy and sluggish, and your day–and face–will instantly change (hopefully for the better). I almost didn’t recognize myself after the first time I used it: Where I used to have extra puff, it was sleek. Where I used to lack a little definition, I looked a little like a rockstar.
Also, coffee is an astringent, so your pores will be tighter and the oiliness you may have on your skin (although this isn’t at all a mask for only people with oily skin) will vanish.
Quick Tips on Using the Mocha-Frappuccino Facial Mask
- Recycle used coffee grounds, but within 20 minutes of grinding. I love the fact that this mask is both effective and green. After you’ve made your pot of coffee in the morning, simply use the coffee grounds for this mask. It will cut down the coffee-effectiveness just a little, but you’ll still get plenty of the benefits. The best way to make this mask is to make your coffee, pour a delicious steaming cup, and then make the mask right away and wear it while you’re drinking your morning brew.
- Wash the mask off in the shower. The coffee grounds can be a little messy, and I’ve found the best way to mitigate that mess is to wash it off while you’re taking your shower. This means, of course, that you should wear a button-down shirt before you put the mask on, as it’s difficult to pull a t-shirt off over a face covered in chocolatey groundy goo.
- If you have leftover coffee grounds (which you probably will) add some olive oil to them and use it as a body scrub in the shower. Coffee grounds also make a great body scrub. You can add olive oil or sweet almond oil straight to the grounds (until you end up with a mushy coffee-ground paste consistency) and throw in a little ground sugar, too, for added scrubbiness.
Mocha-Frappuccino Mask (Coffee, Cocoa Powder, and Honey Facial Mask) Recipe
- 2 Tbsp freshly ground coffee (the finer the grind, the better)
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp. milk (whole), heavy cream, or yogurt
- 1 Tbsp. honey
Mix all the ingredients together well. Apply to a sleepy morning face. Allow the mask to dry for 15-20 minutes. Wash off in the shower, scrubbing VERY lightly over the skin while rinsing.
That’s it. Easy peasy food on your face.
If you try it, let me know how it works for you!
Crunch on, betties!